Do I Need a Lawyer after a Car Crash?
When we were younger, we eagerly anticipated the day that we would pass our driver’s license test. That small plastic card was a big symbol of freedom. As we get older, driving becomes less idyllic and more a matter of practicality — we get in our cars to drive to work and run errands.
When a car accident interrupts this routine, it can be extremely frustrating. Suddenly, you have to deal with another driver and their insurance company, your own insurance company, the doctor’s office, and even your job as you figure out how to get things back to normal. This is when an attorney will be your biggest asset.
Wisconsin Car Crashes
In Wisconsin alone, there was an average of 116,301 car accidents per year between 2011 and 2015. In 2016, more than 86,000 car accidents resulted in property damage, and more than 43,000 people were injured as the result of a crash. A few other interesting data points for 2016 include:
- 524 of these car accidents were fatal, with 588 people dying as a result.
- 5,153 (or 4%) of these crashes involved alcohol in some way.
- 19,540 (or 17%) of these crashes were caused by one or more of the drivers going over the speed limit.
Aside from alcohol and speeding, some of the top causes of car accidents include distracted driving, running red lights, inclement weather, drowsy driving, potholes and poor road quality, and something we’ve all been familiar with at one point or another — road rage.
When Do I Need a Lawyer?
Car accidents happen every day, and it’s a reality that we all face every time we get behind the wheel. So when does a standard car crash become a matter that you need to discuss with a lawyer? Below are two important considerations:
- The insurance company doesn’t want you to hire a lawyer. Here is an easy test: Suggest to the insurance adjuster that you’re thinking about hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you in your car accident case. I guarantee they will try to talk you out of it. Why is that? The other driver’s insurance company doesn’t have your best interest in mind. The adjuster’s only goal is to settle your case for the least amount of money possible. Without a lawyer, the insurance company views your accident as an easy, cheap settlement — and they’ll take advantage of you at every turn.
- A good personal injury lawyer will pay for himself. An experienced car accident attorney will be able to significantly increase the value of your case. In my case, I will also negotiate with your medical providers and health plan to make sure that the hospital doesn’t eat up all of your settlement money. Because I’m practiced at articulating my clients’ pain and suffering claims, I know how to find hidden insurance coverage for your damages.
CAR CRASH ATTORNEY IN JANESVILLE, WI
I have devoted my professional life to representing good people who have been injured in a car accident. If you’re considering filing a claim, talk to me first. I will review your case for free and give you an objective, expert opinion regarding your next steps. Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you — contact me to dramatically improve your odds.